Offered for sale, this car is a recreation of the #53 Group 2 Cologne Capri, as entered by the Ford works at Le Mans in 1972 and driven by Jochen Mass and H-J Stuck. Its basis is a genuine, authenticated, 1972 RS 2600, with bodywork and interior detailed to replicate the original racing car. Only in the name of current safety regulations have a small number of concessions been required. Otherwise, great efforts have been made to source period-correct components at every turn, thanks to the owner’s obsessive approach and the expert guidance of former works team members commissioned to direct this impressively fastidious build.
Built to FIA Group 2
- Built on an original RS2600 shell, authenticated by the Capri Owners Club
- Immaculately presented with extensive period correct detailing
- Offered in ready-to-win condition, expertly prepared by Greg Caton of G-Cat Racing in the UK
- Fresh, 324bhp engine recently rebuilt by Connaught
- Kugelfischer fuel injection
- Engine sealed by the MSA having passed the new Engine Capacity Certification tests for acceptance to Motor Racing Legends’ Historic Touring Car Challenge
- Also eligible for Peter Auto Heritage Touring Cup, the Tour Auto, Modena Centro Oro and many more.
- Current FIA HTP papers, valid until 2025
of a legend
With the road going Capri having been launched to the public in 1969, a number of international rally successes, including class wins, soon followed. It wasn’t long however until became clear to Jochen Neerpasch, head of the Motorsport Department in Cologne, that the car’s greatest potential was as a circuit racer.
The ‘RS2600’ was based on Ford of Germany's top-of-the-range model at the time - the 2600GT. It first came out in 1970 and was heavily updated in September 1971. During the four years of production, only 3532 RS2600s were built and all were left hand drive. The racing car featured a Weslake-built, bored-out version of the production 2637cc V6, complete with aluminium heads. It became a significant platform for the coming wave of success to grace Ford of Cologne’s motorsport department which culminated in 1972 when works driver, Jochen Mass, was crowned European Touring Car Champion.
A Most eligible & competitive
Eligible for a multitude of historic touring car series and rallies, including:
- Peter Auto's Heritage Touring Cup
- Motor Racing Legend’s HTCC (Historic Touring Car Challenge)
- Germany's FHR - Langstrekencup (Long Distance Cup) & 100 Meilen Trophy
- the Tour Auto
- Modena Centro Oro
Little used in 2017, the car best demonstrated its front running potential when entered into the Spa rounds of the Peter Auto HTC in 2016. Starting from the back of the grid after an earlier clutch slave failure, seasoned-racers Greg Caton and Ludovic Lindsay romped passed some of the toughest competition in international historic touring cars to finish 3rd on the road (5th on count back after a red-flag end to the race).
"exactly as i remember"
— Jochen Mass
FEATURED BY octane:
Click on an image to download full article